Monday, November 23, 2009

Biggest Loser Diet - Book Review

I seem to have gotten distracted from the New Rules of Lifting Book as I got a call from the library that this book had arrived for me. We picked it up and it basically gives an overview of the diet that the program uses and some tips. I think the thing that really struck me is that they do not actually encourage use of the program as it is done on the show. For example in the book, they recommend weight X 7 as your daily calories. On the show, for faster loss, they use weight X 6. Also, from all I've read, they spend hours a day in the gym. From 4-6 hours most days, in fact. In the book, you are given a much more moderate recommendation. I think this worries me on two levels.

First, I feel that it is deceptive to not state that it is a similar plan, but not exactly the one they use on the show. Most people would get the book wanting to know exactly how to get show results, whether that is realistic or not. Secondly, while I know it is a carefully controlled environment, I have always had the nagging feeling that the show losses are too fast, not just to keep off, but for safety. I always worry someone is going to have heat stroke or go into cardiac arrest. The pushing is just too hard, physically and mentally. I do not believe I could do that and I weight a lot less than some of them. Most of them are from 300-450 pounds when they start, it seems. At first it made me feel badly for not doing enough or being motivated enough but I must admit that I now see it as tremendous overkill, especially after several weeks of watching the trainers give them disgusted looks for "only" losing 5 pounds instead of 8-15. That just seems so excessive and sensationalized.

I will give them this: the diet seems healthy. They recommend a moderate-carb diet and a list of other diet recommendations that all seem reasonable. And they include some really good recipes. But, if it is available, my conclusion is this is a "get it from the library" book rather than a "run out and buy it" book.

No comments:

Post a Comment